Let’s go through what we’ve learned this year, shall we?
- Cross-paws (Command: Left, Right)
- Food on paws and face (Command: WAIT!)
- Opening crate (Command: Open for bottom latch, Top for top latch)
- Turn on the light (Command: Light)
- Get your leash (Command: Wanna go out? Go GET it!)
- Heel (Command: Heel)
- Heel while running / slowing down / stopping (Command: Heel / Watch me)
- Finish / Left entrance, walk behind me, sit on my right side, look up
- Rollover both ways (Command: Do a barrel roll! Other side!)
- Clean up (Command: Go get it *point to object, point to basket*)
- Roll on back (Command: Rollover)
- Stay while dogs are around; while people are running/screaming; during a loud sound; while I jump over him (Command: Stay)
- Lay on your side (Command: Side)
- Settle (Command: Settle)
- Frog legs (Command: Corgi stretch)
- Go to your bed and stay there (Command: Go upstairs, go to your bed)
- We have herding instincts.
- We practiced herding commands and quickly we (meaning me) forgot them.
- [New Year’s edit] Poop on command (Command: Poop!)
- [New Year’s edit] Drink water (Command: Waaaaterrr)
- [New Year’s edit] Pee on command (Command: Go pee)
And what we are currently learning —
- Stay put for a friendly stranger - This guy, Roosevelt, is 100% sure that everyone loves him. He leaves his stay to cuddle the friendly stranger’s feet. THEN he looks back, looks up, “Do you love me?” At the very least, he stopped jumping.
- Cop-cop — We are working on Stage 1: Peek-a-boo
- Pivot — He pivots while I’m in front of him. Rear end awareness learning postponed until scar on lower abdomen heals.
- Pivot on heel — So far, so good. Trying to completely master this. It’s going to take up all of our time.
- To not be afraid of the gutter — Always a work in progress
- Tuck yourself in — We started this a few weeks back but have been focusing on other tricks. Soon to be revisited.
- More Agility
- More Obedience
His favorite words are:
- Peanut butter
- Car ride
What else shall we learn?